Monday, February 22, 2010

Tick-tock...

It's almost time to go...this is difficult to believe. I haven't been following a checklist of any sort. I just finished packing up. I hardly have any bizarre things in my suitcase for Annie or Chris. It's easier to live in London, so there's not much they need from the Americas.

I remember whenever we had somebody coming from America back when we were living in our apartment on Rooseveltova Street, we asked for stuff like vanilla extract, and brown sugar, to make chocolate chip cookies. We wanted random stuff, like cilantro. Well, we didn't need it, but we missed making the food we knew how to make, and generally liked to have around. My mother was the one who brought us the cilantro. And they searched her luggage. So that was fun for her to try and explain to the Czech customs officials. I remember my second Thanksgiving in Prague. We asked for a friend's mother to bring us pumpkin puree. And we had a huge crowd of Americans that year in our apartment. There was one apple pie and one pumpkin pie. People devoured the pumpkin. It's the little things you miss.

But in London, you can get what you're generally used to, it seems like. All I'm bringing is peanut butter from Trader Joe's, because it's just so damn good -- better than anything you can get in Europe anywhere. Maybe if more Europeans tried good peanut butter, they'd like it better. Same goes for Americans and tea. If we tried theirs, we'd like it better. Anyhow. There's about six jars of peanut butter in the bottom of my valise, along with the other necessities. Let's hope this gets us through.

My dog, Lou, is sighing unhappily next to my bed. I tried to hide the suitcase from him, but to no avail. I think he thinks any suitcase equals Prague. I've been smooching him and telling him that I'll be back, but he just gives me that reproachful look, and looks sad. Poor boy.


No comments:

Post a Comment